Bournemouth vs Watford descended into chaos in the closing stages with a mass brawl that saw two players sent off.

The incident at the Vitality Stadium was sparked following a late challenge by visiting player Joao Pedro deep into stoppage time.

A mass brawl broke out at the end of Bournemouth vs Watford

Getty Images – Getty

A mass brawl broke out at the end of Bournemouth vs Watford

Jack Wilshere and Tom Cleverley were in the thick of the action

Getty Images – Getty

Jack Wilshere and Tom Cleverley were in the thick of the action

With Bournemouth winning 1-0, Watford forward Pedro lunched at Jefferson Lerma as the clock ticked down and was given a second yellow card.

But it all kicked as he made his way down the tunnel, with Jack Wilshere in the thick of the action.

A number of players were involved as chaos erupted near the touchline, with the former Arsenal midfielder butting heads with Tom Cleverley.

Once things had eventually calmed down, Wilshere was shown a second yellow – by which time 99 minutes were on the clock.

Wilshere was one of two players sent off

Getty Images – Getty

Wilshere was one of two players sent off

Commentator Alex Crook described the ugly scenes at the Vitality live on talkSPORT 2.

“It’s all kicking off now between Jack Wilshere and Tom Cleverly. There is a melee. There are heads going in and I think I saw a punch as well. It’s all getting very ugly,” Crook said.

“I said right at the start of the afternoon there was no love lost between these two and it’s spilling over.

“This is absolutely ridiculous. There are punches being thrown in there and there are players being dragged away. Ismaila Sarr is really animated. Dominic Solanke, wearing a face mask having been taken off, is right at the heart of it.

“Two sendings off in the second half stoppage time. Joao Pedro for what was a horror challenge and Jack Wilshere has also been shown a second yellow for his role in the melee.

“He can shake his head all he wants but he’s an experienced player and he has lost his head. He’s not the only one.”

Co-commentator Ray Houghton added: “There could have easily been two or three red cards shown, as you said, there were punches thrown, which wasn’t spotted by the referee or officials.

“It was a massive brawl and both managers will not be happy with the reaction of their players.”

The melee came after Arnaut Danjuma had set Bournemouth on the road to victory with his seventh goal of the season 17 minutes into the second half.

Bournemouth head coach Woodgate said of the brawl: “It did not look great, but that’s football and it was two teams very passionate and two sets of players who wanted to win

“It happens all the time in rugby and does not get talked about it but when it happens in football, everyone talks about it.

Both clubs are likely to face FA sanctions for the incident.

Watford manager Xisco Munoz said: “Football is an emotional game. I want to only speak about positive things about my team. We tried to play in the last second.

“I am disappointed with the result but not the performance. My team was ambitious and played very hard.

“I said to the guys, ‘we need to keep going,’ because we were in a very good moment with four wins in a row. This is not easy in the Championship.”


Source link

Comments are closed.