Social media companies should be fined a percentage of their profits and board members should face negligence charges if racist abuse continues on their platforms, talkSPORT has been told.
Nigel James, father of Chelsea and Manchester United starlets Reece and Lauren, has been disgusted with the abuse his daughter has suffered on Instagram over the weekend.
The Manchester United Women starlet became the latest victim of sickening abuse online after a number of monkey emojis directed to her by one particular user were left under an Instagram post.
talkSPORT can reveal that the same account subjected her to more racist abuse on Monday, as well as numerous other accounts.
James shared screenshots of the racism on her story and said the abuse was getting ‘boring now’, while demanding Instagram cracked down on this type of behaviour.
Premier League clubs were left stunned last week after being notified that the monkey emoji wasn’t a violation of their rules – despite clearly being used in a hateful manner.
And James Sr has been left furious after the most recent incident, after Blues ace Reece was racially abused on the same platform last month.
In a strongly worded statement issued to talkSPORT, James said: “It is the government, and the government alone, that can put the legislation in place to deter people from sending racist abuse online.
“These companies should be fined a percentage of their profits if there are continued abusive messages arising on their platform.
“Board members of these companies should face negligence charges if abuse continues, while guilty parties should face either automatic youth offender centres, prison for a short period or fines and a deduction from their salaries.”
Manchester United duo Axel Tuanzebe and Anthony Martial, as well as Bristol Rovers full-back Mark Little, are among the footballers that have been recently sent racist messages on social media.
The Football Association released a statement on Sunday night calling on the government and social media companies to take decisive action in the fight against online racist abuse
An FA statement read: “It has been yet another weekend where players are facing discriminatory abuse and having to deal with anonymous keyboard warriors who hide in a world of impunity. At The FA, we believe that enough is enough.
“We will continue to do everything we can to stamp discrimination out of the game, but we implore government to act quickly and bring in the appropriate legislation so this abuse has real-life consequences.
“Social media companies need to step up and take accountability and action to ban abusers from their platforms, gather evidence that can lead to prosecution and support making their platforms free from this type of abhorrent abuse.
“We stand with Lauren James, Axel Tuanzebe and every victim of discrimination in all its forms. It’s time for change.”