Tomas Soucek has sent a message of support to Mike Dean after the referee, and his family, received death threats on social media for sending the West Ham midfielder off against Fulham
The sending off has today been overturned upon an appeal, while referee Mike Dean has requested a rest from officiating which sees him not selected for any matches this week.
The Football Association said: “Tomas Soucek will be available for West Ham United FC’s next three fixtures following a successful claim of wrongful dismissal.”
The 25-year-old will therefore be in the Hammers squad which travels to Manchester United in the FA Cup on Tuesday night, as well as being available for the Premier League matches against Sheffield United and Tottenham.
In a social media post, Soucek admitted he was ‘glad’ that his red card was overturned.
“I am glad my red card against Fulham has been overturned,” he wrote. “I’ve checked it, I’ve gone over 200 games without a single red card. My entire career. I am looking forward to helping the team in the important games this week! Thanks for your support!”
Dean is said to have received death threats following his performance at Craven Cottage on Saturday evening.
The rescission of Soucek’s red card means Dean has now had two sending offs overturned in the space of a week.
The referee also sent off Southampton’s Jan Bednarek during their 9-0 defeat to Manchester United at Old Trafford.
However, this call was also overturned following an appeal by the Saints.
Earlier on Monday, Hammers boss David Moyes declared himself ‘disappointed with football in general’ in the wake of Soucek’s red card at Fulham.
“I am disappointed with football in general that the officials would allow these situations to take over from the game,” he said.
“I can only see the officials being the people that can stop it by not allowing the players to get away with the actions they are taking, because it is making the referee’s decision so difficult in giving them a decision when there wasn’t one to give.”
Soucek has since posted another message on Twitter offering his support to the referee.
He wrote: “Whatever decisions are made on the pitch should stay on the pitch. I don’t like hearing about it interfering with personal life and I send Mike Dean and his family my support. There is no place for abuse of any kind. It is in the past and I’m now focused on the rest of the season.”